Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Gone Fishin'


Any one who knows my husband John,knows that he is an avid fisherman. It is his hobby and his passion. He truly believes the saying "A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work!!".
John was informed by a good friend of his, that there was a "blitz" (that means lots of fish :-)), of striped bass off the south shore of Long Island where we live.
John is what is known as a "surf caster", which means he fishes right off the beach. He has a special "4 wheel drive pass", that allows him to drive directly onto the beach with his truck.
Well, to make a long story short. Last night (yes I said night), John went fishing and caught the above pair of striped bass. He came home extremely cold, but extremely happy!!
I'm not a big fan of striped bass, to me it tastes really "gamey and fishy :-)", I like fluke and flounder. So...since our freezer is already overflowing with frozen fish he has already caught, John provided the neighborhood with fresh fish last night!!

2 comments:

4D said...

I guess it is a fishing thing! Good haul but I`ll stay home.

Keep smilin!

shochikubailover said...

Sue,
Send me some of that striped bass! We love it! Maybe you need a secret recipe. Here is my trick to Rockfish (Striped bass): We like our salmon and tuna cooked quickly, 5 minutes on each side. However, striped bass takes much, much longer. My favorite way to prepare it, is in a pan, sauteed with peanut oil and salt. It takes a good long time in the pan, 30 - 45 minutes -- or it tastes gamey. When cooked long enough it tastes like flounder but better times ten. Get it down before Renee comes!
Love,
Janet

 

Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations