Saturday, April 08, 2006

Would You Help Me With Renee's "100 Good Wishes Quilt"?

  1. I had said in an earlier post that I had joined a yahoo group for families who's dossier's left for China in March, or who were "LID" in March. Well I've joined their "100 Good Wishes Quilt" group. This is a "swapping" group, so we can all collect enough quilt squares for a 100 Good Wishes Quilt.

    " This custom is from Northern China- called "Bai Jia Bei" to celebrate a new life in a family. Members and friends of the family would give the expecting mother squares to make a blanket. This blanket was thought to bring luck to the baby."

    So what would you have to do....?
    Send to me (or give me in person) 2 fabric blocks and a small card with a good wish, prayer, Psalm, etc. for Renee. The fabric squares will be made into a quilt and each of the cards will be placed in a scrapbook for when Renee is older. Please attach a small piece of your chosen fabric to the good wish, prayer, Psalm, etc. This way , when Renee is older, she will be able to look at the scrap book and match each fabric square on the quilt to the good wish card in her scrap book. Also, could you use "acid-free" supplies to make the little card?, so they will hold up in the scrap book well. If you're not sure what "acid-free" means ask me, or ask anyone at a craft store like Michael's, Joanne's or A.C. Moore.

    Some Specific Instructions:

    Each square needs to be a minimum of 7" X 7". The material should be cotton fabric, either print or solid... you choose. It can be a new piece of fabric or a used one that might have special meaning to you. You do not have to send/give me 2 squares of the same material, they can be different if you like. Please pre-wash (if you can). If you use a scissor vs. using a rotary cutter (for you experienced sewing machine sewers!), please make the squares a little bigger. Please remember, anything goes in regards to the fabric you choose- "life is an unexpected patchwork of happenings and events".

Would love it if my family and friends would help with this. Some of you know that I've just started to learn how to use the sewing machine John gave me for Christmas 2 years ago (at least I finally learned how to use it, thank you staff at Joanne's Crafts!). If I can't put this entire quilt together myself, I'm going to get help, but it will get done and I'm going to hang it in Renee's room!!!!!

If you have any questions, there is a link to my email at the bottom of this post.
Thanks so much!!!!!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

I can't seem to get to an email link t o contact you directly, but if you would like to trade, let me know!

juliew@Mn.rr.com

 

Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations